In Year 1 children learn to:
- begin to form lower-case letters in the correct direction, starting and finishing in the right place;
- write sentences by:
1. sequencing sentences to form short narratives; and
2. re-reading what has been written to check that it makes sense.
- spell words containing each of the 40+ phonemes already taught;
- name the letters of the alphabet in order;
- write from memory simple sentences dictated by the teacher that include words using the graphemes, phonemes and common exception words taught so far;
- introduce capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks to demarcate sentences.