In Year 5 children learn to:
- apply a growing knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes (morphology and etymology) - as listed in English appendix 1 of the national curriculum document - both to read aloud and to understand the meaning of new words that are met;
- increase familiarity with a wide range of books including myths, legends and traditional stories, modern fiction, fiction from our literary heritage, and books from other cultures and traditions;
- check that the book makes sense to the reader, discussing the individual’s understanding and exploring the meaning of words in context;
- summarise the main ideas drawn from more than one paragraph, identifying key details that support the main ideas;
- retrieve, record and present information from non-fiction;
- participate in discussions about books that are read to the child and those that can be read independently;
- provide reasoned justifications for their views about a book.